Ep. 12: Fat and Health with DeAun Nelson
DeAun Nelson a Naturopathic Doctor who practices at Watershed Wellness in Portland, Oregon. She specializes in taking a weight neutral approach to health. Even at a young age, DeAun intuitively knew that health and weight were two distinct things and she has carried these convictions to her medical practice. She understands that one can be healthy and fat and wants to share her scientific knowledge and Health AT Every Size approach with others.
We discuss the mental stigmas associated with fat stigma, from the size of airplane seats to how some medical professionals discriminate against people who are heavier. Dr. Nelson is an advocate for the Health at Every Size movement (HAES), and how it has a profound effect on the physical and mental health of many patients.
This Week on the Every Body Podcast:
- The shift of wanting to diet to acceptance, and focusing on health
- Being fat in a world built for thin people
- Benefits of having a variety of seating accommodations when flying
- Southwest Airlines “Customer of Size” policy
- Being healthy at any size
- How habits affect health and not weight
- The effects of stress on the body
- Addressing knee problems without weight loss
- Helping patients affected by medical bias against overweight people
- American Medical Association classifying obesity as a disease
Connect with Deaun Nelson:
Rate, Share & Inspire Others to Love Every Body
Thank you for joining me this week on the Every Body podcast. If you enjoyed this week’s episode, head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave a review to help us spread the word to Every Body!