Ep. 22: LOSE THE BULL** & LIBERATE YOUR BODY
Lose the Bull** & Liberate Your Body
Jes Baker (@themilitantbaker) has been a major figure in the fat-positive community for years beginning with her "Attractive and Fat" photo campaign as backlash against Abercrombie and Fitch's anti-fat advertising. Since then, her refreshingly authentic voice has garnered over 77 thousand followers on instagram as well as a wildly popular personal blog. Jes has built her foundation on the idea that #fatgirlsCAN and she continues to shatter society's expectations for fat people with equal parts outspoken advocacy and brazen visibility. I loved getting a chance to sit down with this inspirational woman to talk about complicated topics from "Lisa Frank bopo" to her relationship with movement. Take a listen and join the conversation with us on instagram!
"Every single person right now is being targeted, when it comes to self-esteem and body image, women have historically been the targets of marketing and advertising selling these beauty and weight loss products."
- Jes Baker
This Week on the Every Body Podcast:
- How Jes Baker's online presence took off with her "Attractive and Fat" campaign against Abercrombie & Fitch.
- Discussions on class as it relates to farm culture and how that relates to current gender roles.
- How the new "health is the new skinny" trend plays into diet culture.
- The ways wellness culture is exclusive and damaging to the vast majority of people.
- Jes's personal recovery process as it relates to her childhood experience with poverty.
- Jes talks about her complicated relationship with movement and intuitive eating.
- The ways Jes connects with her body and finds happiness and fulfillment.
- How writing her upcoming memoir, "Landwhale" (May 2018), has played a role in the connection between her mental and physical journey.
- The ways the "Lisa Frank bopo" movement can fall short for many people.
- Jes Baker's blog: www.themilitantbaker.com
- Jes's first book, "Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls: a Handbook for Unapologetic Living"
- Jes's open letter to Abercrombie & Fitch CEO
Rate & Share
Thank you for joining me this week on the Every Body podcast. If you enjoyed this week’s episode, head over to iTunes , subscribe to the show and leave a review to help us grow the podcast. Don’t forget to visit our website , follow us on Facebook , Twitter, and Instagram , and share your story because this podcast is for every body.